Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I figured it out! Something about Simba in SP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for getting our discussion back on track! As for the spaces between the eyes and brows, I agree with you! TLK 1.5, you'll notice a glossiness, but, in my opinion, he looks quite okay in LK 1.5. Just me, and there's more obvious messy coloration. For example, Simba's hmm, let's do this in terms of what I'd use to color them with in a coloring book: So, in TLK, and, surprisingly, TLK 1.5, Simba is a 'goldenrod' color, but in TLK II SP, he's orange! Ooh, then I just can't watch it!

Well, to acknowledge Fear The Paw, I haven't really watched TLK 1.5 that much. Tonight's my night off from school-work, so I try some comparisons. I know this is bit obsessive (who am I kidding, I'm freaking PO-sessed), but I was thinking about jotting down Simba/Nala (maybe a few others, tell me who to look for, and I will ) differences in the two movies. Then, later, I'll post my information and analysis.

Hmm, just how obsessed do you think that is? Ha, , well I'll reiterate that I'll look and study any re-occurring characters in the films. I mean re-occuring, so please no characters seen only in one of the movies. I can say this and I know it'll still happen. So, I thought of Zazu? Well, Simba/Nala comparisons are much more certain!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nala's eye-colour is different between TLK and Simba's Pride, I've noticed.. it's more greenish-blue in TLK, and more blue in SP. I haven't noticed too much else in regards to Nala in the movies.. o.o

I'd go into all the differences between the various designs of Timon as well -he's my favourite character, afteral!- but I'm sure that's already been done countless times!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, yes, Nala's eyes really ARE blue in the second movie...yuckers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Marijke Rose
    Nala's eye-colour is different between TLK and Simba's Pride, I've noticed.. it's more greenish-blue in TLK, and more blue in SP. I haven't noticed too much else in regards to Nala in the movies.. o.o
    Here's something interesting the artist Sarafina pointed out reguarding the difference between Nala's face in TLK and TLK1/2. Mind you she drew this, which I think is beautiful. http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/S...sneysShame.jpg

Here's a site Sarafina made about the true nature of Nala's eyes. http://nala.ru/nalas_eyes.htm

I love how observant she is. I never would have caught these things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How does Sarafina do that day to night converting thing? Mabe someone could do one for Simba's eyes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never knew there was any question about the lighting effecting Nala's eye-colour (because I accounted for the lighting changes, I never noticed that her eyes 'changed colour' throughout TLK). I think the lighting effects all the characters' eye-colour. o.o

Thank you very much for posting the link to that page, though, Stellaluna. It is kewl to read it.

And, Sarafina is an amazing artist, from the few pictures of hers I've seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And, Sarafina is an amazing artist, from the few pictures of hers I've seen.
    She has amazing art...I use one of her pics as my desktop...The one where Nala is looking all seductive with a flower in her mouth while she's laying in the grass...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Until Stellaluna linked to her gallery, that was one of the only pictures by Sarafina I've ever seen.. (I think the one you described was the first, then someone showed me a couple more, like her 'White Cheetah' picture.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay! The results are in. So, for starters, we're going to have to get a few basic groundrules laid out.
    We will be focusing on the main appearance of the TLK characters during the first movie. These descriptions
    should be relatively basic. Then, they will be differentiated by the way these appearances change in the other
    two movies.

NOTE: This is all for fun and for just spending time with the characters. Please don't take any offense in any way!

The appearance of Adult Simba, first off. He has:
    A light, almost scruffy red mane with two parted pieces framing his face.
    A pinkish nose
    A mane that, like his father, Mufasa, has a darker inner 'chest mane'. A light, goldenrod coat.
    A set of paws that are rounded at the digits as a cub, and colored lighter at the separation of the digits
    A set of paws that noticably switch from being roundish to angular/round to flat to chunky throughout the first movie, and are tipped lighter at the separation of the digits
    Eyes that are red, but changeto be a golden color depending on lighting effects (i.e. the stampede scene which causes
    Simba's eyes to appear goldish)
    When he smiles, he does, but his smile line curves down slightly.
    His dewclaws are predominantly round, but are sometimes seen as being squarish, and with a vein (?) running up his leg from them.
    He has a characteristic expression that causes him to raise his eyebrows in sympathy. This is shown even while he is pleasant.
    He is in a sympathetic mode throughout the movie after his fathers' death which may have something to do with his brows.

That was only a basic run-through of Simba's characteristics. Now, we will compare the above with what I have observed in
    both TLK II SP, and TLK 1.5:

Simba, TLK II, SP:

Kept mane fringe about face.
    His eyebrows are kept smooth, and the sympathy is gone from his face, with only a few hints of it here and there in the movie, namely when he's discussing Kiara with Nala.
    As others have mentioned, I have found that his jaw has been made quite thick and sturdy, giving one an even stronger inferrence
    that he is Mufasa's son.
    Simba's coat, in this movie, is now a darker, oranger color than is seen in The Lion King.
    Simba's smile is a straight, upwards smile, like you'd see in a 'standard' character.
    Although not above mentioned, it is maybe important to show that, when Simba is upset or angry, his scowl line leads down to
    his nose. This is not the case in the sequal, though it is nothing worth worrying over.
    Simba's 'undermane' which is the part of the mane that is located circulating around his shoulders, slightly, and that
    'sticks' to his belly. This is darker than was in the first movie.
    This is a given, but Simba's mane is larger, thicker, and less scraggly. This, though, makes sense if you consider he's aged
    somewhat since the last movie.

To sum it all up: Simba gains a Mufasa likeness that is made rather obvious by his 'filled inness'.

Simba, TLk 1.5:

Simba's sympathetic eyebrow expression is kept, and rather prominently! I find that you see most of the original Simba in
    the snail-eating contest.
    Oops, the mane piece under Simba's head directly is a light brown when in the hot tub scene, but during the Scar confrontation,
    is pops back to a dark, recognizable brown. Most likely a coloring oopsy.
    Simba's facial expressions during the flipped around scene of "in short our pal is doomed," I found that Simba looked, well,
    stunningly like Simba!
    Ooh, when he's running from the Nala argument, you may notice that he sports a Mufasa-jaw!
    Paw oopsies are many. Unlike in the original movie, Simba's paws occasionally are an off square, Nala-ish shape. They 'should' be
    angular and somewhat chunky.
    He keeps his all too well known mane fringes.
    I jotted so many exclamation points here. During the ascention to Pride Rock, Simba looks greatly like he really should-like him
    self! Woot! Especially when he says, "I couldn't have done it without you guys," the sympathy is omnipresent.
    Of course, yuck, sometimes you'll find him with thick black-lined lips! Wow, how'd that happen?
    I shall reiterate that teen Simba looks a lot like Simba should in TLK!
    During the vine jumping scene, Simba looks a bit off, but nothing to bother anyone.

Whew! I know there's so much more that could be said, and Nala and Scar's anylizations are waiting anxiously in my notebook.
    Alas, they will have to wait-this took me a while! Well, enjoy, and remember, this is meant for fun and light-heartedness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awww, this didn't interest anybody? Okay, I'll go now *sniffle.*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No, I thought it was very interesting. It seemed to settle the matter and looked very thought-out. I just couldn't think of anything to say really.

Anywho, you're really observant Dark. What you wrote was really good. *gives you a cookie*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    **Pats DarkPaw**

It's more likely that no one's seen it, or if they have, they didn't have time to read and reply to it.. or didn't have anything to add. o.o
    (I didn't have time to read it all before, but I might be able to read it all now.. depends if my fox-fianc? needs the computer or not.)

EDIT: Stupidly wrote "DarkLion" instead of "DarkPaw".. I'm very sorry, DarkPaw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think that 'vein' coming from his Dewclaw that frequently shows up is rather a tendon, but I don't know what the animators themselves were going for.. it's probably just an extra line that is either occasionally forgotten or occasionally added (I don't know the original intentions.. I'd need to see a model, preferably one of the 3D sculpture models that the artists used for reference.)

You generally paid way more attention to Simba than I did throughout the movies. LOL! I was more observant of Timon, but never wrote anything down about it.. just whined about his dark underpaws (the palms of his hands) in 'Simba's Pride', and the absense of any colour-definition (both sides of his hands held the same colour) on his underpaws in 'The Adventures of Timon & Pumbaa'. And, of course, his stripes, haircolour, and the length of his tail.. (And, in "Timon & Pumbaa", EVERYTHING changing randomly because of the different artists in the cheaper studio.)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I know that probably someone else will say it, so I'll beat them to it: try to use the EDIT button, some don't really like to see double posts

(unless you type so much you ran out of characters to use)

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, Nathalie. On some other forums I go to, editing is ONLY allowed for typo corrections and code-fixes.. otherwise, if you alter the content in any way -by adding or removing text, even if you're not actually altering the original content, but are adding new content- you'd get in trouble (warnings, sometimes a ban if you did it too often).. so I kinda have it stuck in my head not to edit my posts. But, I will try to remember that I SHOULD edit posts here to add content, instead of double-posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think that 'vein' coming from his Dewclaw that frequently shows up is rather a tendon, but I don't know what the animators themselves were going for.. it's probably just an extra line that is either occasionally forgotten or occasionally added (I don't know the original intentions.. I'd need to see a model, preferably one of the 3D sculpture models that the artists used for reference.)

You generally paid way more attention to Simba than I did throughout the movies. LOL! I was more observant of Timon, but never wrote anything down about it.. just whined about his dark underpaws (the palms of his hands) in 'Simba's Pride', and the absense of any colour-definition (both sides of his hands held the same colour) on his underpaws in 'The Adventures of Timon & Pumbaa'. And, of course, his stripes, haircolour, and the length of his tail.. (And, in "Timon & Pumbaa", EVERYTHING changing randomly because of the different artists in the cheaper studio.)
    Yeah, I guess that it's a tendon-I couldn't find the right word so I through our 'vein.' You know how it is .

So, yeah, it'd be cool to see if we could get a look at a Simba macquette. Those sculptures are pretty cool. Did'ja know that the idea came out of using a real puppet to find out how Pinnochio would move? Hee, I love some good trivia

As for me being more observant of Simba, well, I never really paid that much attention to Timon that way, so I should probably get a look in at him. Maybe even Pumbaa. See, the funny thing is, they get Pumbaa done predominantly well. We don't have Cable, and the show makes me want to smack Disney, I don't really watch T/OP show, or House of Mouse. Both make me wanna' hurl over the character design prescision of all of the poor Disney characters.

Whew, well, I'm gonna' go and look for any Macquette pictures for us, it could be prmising-and also pretty fun to jsut look at. In the mean time, I'm still trying to find some screen shots. I'll also post Nala, and, yes, Scar's notes later on today or tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had a book with TLK Maquettes and cels (and their, at the time current, collector's values... $2,000 and up.. -.-), but I am not sure if I brought it to Germany with me. Otherwise, I'd check in there and offer to try to scan them. Unfortunately, I THINK I gave it away when I moved.. I'm really not sure.

*Chuckles* I understand. Timon was my fave character, so yeah.

I've noticed some differences in Pumbaa's design as well, but mainly between TLK and the T&P show (surprise, surprise.. near-perfection vs. perversly-sloppy, heh..).. not sure about Simba's Pride or TLK 1.5, though.

I will be eagerly awaiting your other two character analysis. ^.^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, I'm keeping my promise. Right now I'll be typing down the analysis of both Scar and Nala. So, we'll first start with Nala. Nala's a bit more subtle in terms of so many facial expressions. So, here goes:

So, for starters, we're going to have to get a few basic groundrules laid out.
    We will be focusing on the main appearance of Nala during the first movie. These descriptions
    should be relatively basic. Then, they will be differentiated by th way these appearances change in the other
    two movies.

The appearance of adult Nala, first off. She has:

When Nala sits, the majority of her belly is shown, and her legs 'recede' in a way that allows you to see her belly. This
    makes her sitting position look relatively 'awkward.'
    Her eyes, although much controversy has been barked over, are a darkish aquamarine-like color. The shade changes as does
    lighting in the movie.
    Her brows are a dark brown,and curve to keep the shape of her eye-circle.
    Her nose is a dark brown, making her seem 'older' in a respect, than Simba.
    Nala's paws a subtle squarish shape, and this includes the digits; her digits are NOT tipped.
    Her facial 'benchmark' (like Simba's sympathy), although EXTREMELY subtle, is that of both a motherly concern at times, and a loving, gentle
    expression.
    Nala's build is neither too skinny nor too fat. She is at ideal proportions, and nothing is too distracting about
    her.
    Her ears are solid, and do not have any tipping.
    Nala's 'lips' are lined blackish/dark, dark brown. The majority of her 'dark browns' would be considered liver-colored
    by dog-show judges.

To sum it all up: Nala has a set of subtlties that make her a beautiful character, and she has a mother-like aura.

Nala, TLK II, SP:

Nala's eyes are now UNMISTAKABLY a clear, crystalline blue, there is no excuse that her eye-color relates to lighting now.
    Her body, along with and especially, and her face are all pudgier, if you will. This gives the viewer the infference that
    she's gained weight substantially.
    Her eyebrows are no longer so curvatious, rather, they can choose to 'leave' the rounded eye-circle.
    Her nose is a maroon color, and is too down-turning in some places.
    When she sits, Nala no longer sits in her odd, belly-showing way.
    Her facial attributes (eyes, spec.) are too larger for the space her head can afford.
    Her smile, along with her demeanor, is very airy and light. If this analysis wasn't so serious, there'd be a joke about taking
    sleeping pills...
    Her concerning and motherly 'act' has changed to a happy, odd almost 'spiked' not even there, mayube spacy-ness.

To sum it all up: Nala really doesn't feel like Nala, she feels like she's more of a generic brand lioness.

Nala, TLK 1.5

Nala's characteristic sitting appearance has returned. Her belly is exposed.
    When Simba and Nala are nuzzling, and I make sure I mean the new animation, her eyes are positioned and shaped correctly...
    But as Sarafina (artist) shows us earlier in the thread, her eyes, nose, and other facial attributes are OFF.
    Her nose is much too thick, much too olive-green, and is positioned oddly.
    Again, to re-iterate, until her scene with Timon and Pumbaa, Nala is generally okay. Then again, the majority of her screen
    time is original animation, so I'm not saying much.
    During the "In short our pal is doomed" sequence, when Nala is luring Simba after her, she looks much like the seductive cat
    she is!
    During her scene with Timon and Pumbaa, you'll find that her chest is too prominent.
    In an offbeat way, sometimes you'll find that Nala has the square, smooth, short face that characterizes Kiara!
    In many places, Nala's subtle square paws often become too round.

To sum it all up: Nala, again, just doesn't feel like Nala!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for posting that! Nala was one of the characters that bugged me the most between the three movies. I just couldn't pinpoint WHAT was wrong with her in Simba's Pride. I mean, I noticed a few design mishaps, but I couldn't figure out what it was about demeanor that bothered me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, my mom's noticed how much she wasn't 'there'. I mean that as in she wasn't there literally (okay, you bore Simba's child, we're keeping you around for the heck of it), and that she wasn't there mentally, just kind of spaced-out. Much too out of character for her! Sheez! That was, 'okay, you made your point as the seductive, sexy (can I say that?), amourous, tough, strong, confident character that you are-but now we don't need you. Buh-bye now!

See? That's just wrong.